Friday, January 7, 2011

Today's gamble

I haven't bought many flea market horses in a while, and usually don't find any screaming deals, but I may have gotten close this time. I stopped in one of the local antique malls yesterday and found two slightly overpriced vintage Breyers - a glossy charcoal Fighting Stallion and a black pinto Western Horse with a snap saddle, $65 each. I've got a snap-saddle WH already, although mine is missing an eartip. This one had both ears, but is horribly yellowed. Same for the Fighter, he's so yellowed that the tag said "gold mane" on it. But, the dealer had everything 30% off, so I thought about it overnight and went back for the Fighter today.

After the discount, he was just under $50. His paint job otherwise is very nice, as far as I can tell. Minor eartip rubs, but the eyewhites are there, and no major rubs anywhere. Hopefully he'll clean up nice. He can be my rehab project for the year, although sunning him may have to wait for summer.

No comments: