Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Shelves and more shelves

 The stupid pandemic has put the squash on my usual weekly round of thrift stores and estate sales, but the local consignment auction is all online, and I've had a bit of luck there.  Last week, it was a trio of DVD/CD/media shelves (made by Sauder, circa 1996).  About 3.5 feet high, just under a foot wide, 6 inches deep.  Perfect for SMs, along with the Schleich/Safari/CollectA brigade.




These models are black inside, although at least one of mine is woodgrain interior.  Since the black turns them into a black hole, I lined them partially with white paper, from an end-roll of statement paper from Husband's work.  The shelves got a lining of assorted scrapbook paper in a variety of patterns.  (To paraphrase Adam Savage - This is the rainy day you were saving that thing for!).  

 

I didn't line both sides with paper, because the shelves are a tight fit and wedging them in makes the paper wrinkle.  So, white on the back and one side it is. And it does make a difference, as you can see.






At the spacing for SM sizes, I could fit at least two more shelves into each unit, but Sauder doesn't seem to sell replacement shelves, or at least won't tell me how much they cost without my providing a lot number that I don't have.  So, for now, I'm on the lookout for 1/2-inch plywood or board of some kind.  Michaels may have something close, but they seem to be closed temporarily at t he moment (probably because of the stupid pandemic). 



No comments: