Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flea-marketing

I have some child-free time, so I hit a flea market I hadn't been to before. I didn't buy any horse-shaped objects, but I did find a Sam Savitt book, the Big Book of Favorite Horse Stories. Savitt didn't edit it, but he did do the illustrations, foreword, and a bit of info on all the writers. It has some stories I haven't' seen before, which is always fun.

Horse-wise, I finally saw my first Hagen-Renaker in a flea market. It was the small "Running Mare"and was grossly overpriced IMO at $22, when I think it's still a current release. I also saw one Schleich, a current horse, for $12.95. I bought mine for $6.49 at Target last month.

Breyers were similarly overpriced. $56 each for a very-yellowed Alabaster Fighting Stallion and bog-common Clydesdale Stallion (although the Clyde looked in good shape, and all the bobs were still there). $10 for the Simmental bull missing both ears and both horns. $24 for Jasper the Market Hog, $10 each for old G1 Stablemates in crap shape. The only realistically-priced Breyer was a Little Bits ASB for $4.95, probably because his mold mark says B.M.C. and they didn't realize it was an ultra-rare (LOL) Breyer.

Every now and then, I find something worth buying at a fleamarket, but lately I've had better luck online. The dealers seem to think that all Breyers are 50+ years old and scarcer than hens' teeth.

Best thrift-store deal I ever found was a black pinto Western Horse with the snap-on saddle. I paid $12 for him in pretty good condition, although he later lost an eartip in a fall. Mom had better luck for me when I was in school - a glossy grey appy Running Foal for a quarter and a palomino Standing Stock Foal for a couple bucks.

No comments: